Care Home Support Team
Overview of the service
The Care Home Support Team is an integrated team comprised of senior healthcare professionals with a variety of expertise:
- Service Manager (Adult and Mental Health Nurse)
- Occupational Therapist
- Senior registered Nurses, some of whom specialise in End of Life Care.
The team is a multi-disciplinary team, who works in an integrated way with the locality teams across Sutton.
There are two distinct elements to the service:
End of Life Care
The End of Life Care specialist nurses are a resource for GPs, community services and care homes within the Care Home Support Team. The nurses from the team provide monthly support visits to nursing and residential homes incorporating bespoke teaching sessions and clinical rounds.
The aim of the End of Life Care service is to support nursing and residential homes to care for patients who are approaching the end of their lives. The service provides support for advance care planning, symptom control, syringe pump management and reflective debriefings. As well as advise, liaise and support GPs with their end-of-life care patients.
The service provides teaching sessions for community services and attend local GPs end-of-life care/Gold Standards Framework (GSF) meetings to advise on best practice.
The team also supports care homes to complete Co-ordinate My Care electronic record.
- Provision of support, training and supervision to staff working in nursing and residential homes, up-skilling and empowering them to deliver an even greater standard of care
- Undertake weekly wellbeing and health contact and where appropriate complete well-being and health rounds in residential homes
- Provide advice on equipment provision for individual residents and the home.
- Undertake comprehensive holistic assessments and care planning in order to coordinate packages of care in partnership with GP's and health and social care colleagues
- Recommend or review oral nutritional supplements
- Liaise with local hospitals, identifying patients admitted from care homes and provide support to facilitate timely discharge
- Support care home staff to make appropriate referrals to other services.
Who can access this service?
Residents with a Sutton GP and staff working in care homes
Is patient self-referral available?
No, patients need to be referred by their GP or by the care home staff to visit residents.
For all enquiries, please contact:
Care Home Support Team
Green Wrythe Lane Clinic
2nd Floor, 411a Green Wrythe Lane
Single Point Access tel: 020 8661 3908