Children’s Continence Service
The Children’s Continence Service is available for children and young people aged 4 to 18 years old, registered with a Sutton GP, who experience bladder and/or bowel difficulties including daytime wetting / soiling.
The service is run by a specialist continence nurse and (supported by the nursing team at Sherwood Park) who will complete an assessment to find out about your child’s individual needs.
The team is able to offer:
- Advice and support around toilet training and healthy bladder and bowels.
- Offer continence promotion for children and young people with additional needs.
- Assessment and advice for children and young people who have more complex needs and / or learning disabilities and, subject to eligibility, the provision of continence products.
- A key responsibility of the nurse’s role is Safeguarding, to ensure that all children and young people are kept safe, stay healthy, enjoy and achieve best potential.
- Referral to the service is via your child’s GP or another health professional (eg School Nurse / Health Visitor).
- For children and young people who experience enuresis (bed wetting) there is a separate enuresis service run by the Sutton School Nursing Team.
- For any children who present with “red flag” symptoms or where further investigation is required an onward referral will be made to a Consultant Paediatrician / Consultant Paediatric Urologist.